Mental Medicine: Do Not Disturb
I have a terrible habit of scrolling through Instagram, Tumblr and Twitter right before I go to bed and as soon as I wake up. When you host a radio show, hold a position as a social media manager and just started your journey as a blogger, these platforms are your bread and butter.
So how do you practice unplugging when your personal and professional lives are all tied up in the digital world?
Stepping away from the digital world doesn't mean the actual world will fall apart. You can still be aware of what's going on without being glued to trending topics. You can still find inspiration in the world around you to create without scrolling through the explore page.
I decided it's time to put this routine to rest.
Here's how it's going down:
1. Get ready for bed. Shower, twist my hair, brush my teeth, wash my face. Whatever I need to do to prepare my body to relax.
2. Around 10:15 PM (except for night's that I am on the air) put my phone on do not disturb.
3. Don't touch any social media apps!
4. Meditate using my Meditation Studio app for about 10-15 min.
5. I need some sort of sound to help me sleep. I usually play nature sounds or soft jazz.
1. When I wake up, I DON'T go on social media. Instead, I put on NPR and listen as I get ready for my day.
So far I'm three nights/mornings strong!
How do you unplug and decompress?